Sunday, April 26, 2009

Life Lessons

WOW so much has happened this last month!!! Lexi told me today "I have been on three dates this last month" and I realized that all this stuff has happened in the past 30 days! This year has gone by SO fast, and it really has been amazing. I have learned so much, not necessarily academic related, but also many life lessons. Some of these lessons have not been fun at all, but truly I would not be the same person if they didn't happen. It seems like forever ago that I fractured my shin, and was in a boot for weeks (a dark time in my life) but really it was less than 6 months ago. CRAZY. I am in a very reflective mood right now. Here are some things I have learned or experienced this year:

-Because of my shin fracture, and my inability to play in a single basketball game my junior year, I have learned to sympathize, comfort, understand, and be able to relate with more people. I have learned to get over myself, stop throwing pity parties for myself, and deal with what hand I have been given. Everything happens for a reason. I know that my stress fracture was for my own good, even if I was not happy at the time. It made me be grateful for the times I do get to run and jump and actually do a right handed lay-up without pain. I have been humbled from that experience, and I am actually in a healthy place in my life right now where I can accept that. I am so glad that happened this year, so that I get one more chance to enjoy playing basketball, one more time.

-I have learned that most boys are not worth it. "It" meaning that they do not want the same things you(I) do: companionship, friendship, reliability, doing little things that make you smile, thoughtfulness, sensitivity, kindness, etc. I realized that this hefty list is asking way too much of boys now, so I just have to wait to til they mature up!! And I am ok with that. (Hebrews 10:36).
No matter how much potential you see in them, they cannot change unless they choose to, unless they want to. I am not sad, but hopeful. I am grateful I have learned this lesson pretty pain-free. And my list is just going to get longer!! :)

-There is always more going on behind the cover of someone, more problems in their life than you know of. I have heard things of people, and been like "What? That is going on in his/her life right now??" and had no idea. Never would have guessed. That is why it is so important to be kind and sensitive all the time because you may accidently say something offensive, or what you do may tip the scales of their control or something, and it would be terrible to have that on your conscience.

-I think that it is basically a sin for me to be unhappy at any time. It is so hard to be happy all the time, but seriously, I have no right to be unhappy.

Well I think that is all I have to say tonight. Thanks for listening (reading....).

2 comments:

Jenna said...

What a wonderful post Kate! I am impressed that at such a young age you have figured out that you can not change anyone unless they have a desire to change themselves. Don't ever forget it. It was so great to see you on Holiday even if it was just for a bit. I hope you enjoy the rest of the school year!

Gina said...

Wow. Deep thoughts from Kathryn Corbitt. I like it. It's nice to see(-read-)you open up like this.

I know your injury changed you and I am glad to hear that you are finding the joy in the moment.

And you are right--you never know what is going on behind the scenes in someone's life.

Wise words and thoughts from a kind, sensitive young woman.
I sure love you!