Saturday, June 7, 2008

Lucerne (Luzern)


   Today, Jenna and I and the girls drove to Lucerne (or in German, Luzern). which is about an hour away from Zurich. It was raining all day, but it is not like rain at home; this rain is  more like mist so you can't always hear it or see it. But I like it alot better than the rain at home. So we drove through this hilly, mountainous pass with cows and sheep and lots of trees. It was so pretty and I took so many pictures. We drove around the city looking for a parking garage, but alot of them were completely filled. Today is Saturday, rainy and the Euro Cup, so that is why the city was so packed. But we found a spot and walked through the station and got on a bus which took us to this Lion Monument, in German Lowendenkmal, and it was really neat because there was a reflection pond with ducks right in front of it, surrounded by trees. Above, you see the giant lion. I took lots of pictures there too. Then we went to the Bourbaki Panorama, which was basically a tribute to the Franco-Prussian War in the early 1870's. Then we went to Glacier Garden, which was really cool. The first part was archeological finds, surrounded by trees. Then we went inside and there were more exhibits of stuff. There was a huge wooden staircase and other things  made of wood. Then we went outside and ate ice cream (even though it was freezing!) and played with huge mirrors (see picture slideshow). Then we went to the most exciting place: The Hall of Mirrors! It made me soooo dizzy!! We had to follow a path but it was so confusing. The girls wanted to go again, but Jenna and I refused. Then we went up this wooden watch tower and took some good pictures because there was a good view. After that we went to the Chapel Bridge, which was a long wooden bridge covered with flowers and a roof. It was pretty, but part of it burned down in 1993, so parts of it were black and some parts had been replaced. By that point, we were pretty tired, so we tried to find the car. It took us so long and we walked around the whole station until we found the car. We stopped at McDonalds (I know, so Swiss) and drove home. The drive through for McDonalds was called a McDrive :) 
   Church tomorrow starts at 9 a.m. I am already missing our 11:00 a.m. time in a building less than 10 minutes away. Jenna's home teachers are coming tomorrow at 4. 
  Last night, I went with just Jenna to a baby shower for a lady I don't even know, but it was fine because everyone was nice. I met the Young Women's President, and she is nice so I am not very nervous or anxious for church tomorrow. We had to drive through this windy mountain pass which was so pretty! But it was kind of scary in the dark, but we did not get lost, we just got home late because Jenna was driving slow, just to be safe.            
  
 

1 comment:

Gina said...

I love these photos! Everything looks so green and lush. Love it when you call in the mornings!