Sunday, June 8, 2008

Church

Today was my first time going to church in Switzerland. It was really cool actually. We met in an office building that is about ten minutes away, on the first floor. Sacrament Meeting was, of course, in German, but they provided the English speaking people with headphones and someone in the back of the room was translating. It was kinda funny. Sacrament meeting went by really fast, and then I went with this really nice girl named Jessica, who spoke English and German. We stood around talking with some other boys, named...Colten, or Colin, I forget, and his brother Dustin, who are, like, 20 or something. Then we went to Sunday School, but of course the teacher spoke German, so Jessica translated for me.YAY. Then we walked around talking a bit then went to Young Women's. There are only 5 girls. I made it six. I thought it was so funny, because in my ward there are about five times that many girls. Oh and in sunday school there were only four of us! Crazy. At the end of Young Women's, we celebrated the Young Women's President Micah's birthday and we had a cake. It was really good. Then it was time to go home, so we left, crossed the street to the parking lot and got in the car and went home. We had to drive through the Jewish part of the city, so that was cool. I was invited today to go to mutual on Thursday, but they don't call it that, they call it Activity or something. It is going to be a barbecue with the young men, if it doesn't rain. 
  This morning I was using Jenna's blowdryer because mine does not work because the plugs here are different than the ones at home. So of course my straightener does not work either!! Grrr. But Jenna very kindly volunteered to help my with my hair, which helped ALOT. 
   The home teachers are coming today at four, and then we are having dinner. 
Last night Jenna and I watched Juno, which was good, and started 50 First Dates but by that point it was almost midnight so we are going to finish it tonight. 

4 comments:

Lexi said...

Don't you dare find a good friend there, you hear me?! I am insanely jealous and I already don't like this Jessica girl. What's her last name and Social Security number?
Don't even think about having any guy friends, at all! I won't allow it. Grrrr, 20 year olds. I hope you don't have too much fun, Kate. I should have come and frightened away all the friendly Swiss people.
Lexi

Lexi said...

I want to see something....

Rob said...

Sounds like Swiss church meetings sure beat our three-hour block meetings! I'm glad you found some friendly people ... that can make all the difference. I totally forgot about the different plugs for hair dryers and straighteners. Radio Shack has some plugs that allow you to use them.
Hmm, another excuse to go to Radio Shack ...

Kami said...

Oh thats fun!! I'm glad you met a friend that could translate for you!! was it weird to hear people talking in german??